Thursday, January 12, 2012

How do you know when to rotate/balance your tires?

Today while driving, I took notice of a very radial/wheel'ie noise while driving at high speeds. I've heard this before and it's gone away when I got new tires, but I just got these tires 1 1/2 years ago. It's this sign I need a rotation/balance?How do you know when to rotate/balance your tires?
Go to tire shop, have them checked, (also wheel alignment). Age of tire has nothing to do with whether they stay in balance -- even brand new ones throw weights sometimes.

you could have a tire with casing going bad, - even brand new tires do this some times, - so it would be best idea to have them checked. Most of larger tire chains have nominal charge for rotating and checking tires,. - some even do it free, depending on what kind of warrantey you got with installation!
You must live in the USA, since over here we change to winter tires I rotate and balance my tires twice a year.



Ask your mechanic but I think it's a good idea to rotate your front tires to the rear after a year and check their balance while at it.How do you know when to rotate/balance your tires?
You can rotate every other oil change or do a visual inspection of the wear and decide. Most front wheel drive cars will wear front tires out much more quickly. Check your air pressure. Make sure you get an alignment when you put on new tires.
Tires should be balanced when you buy them. Assuming that none of the weights fall off, they should never need balanced again. I run snow tires in the winter. When I take them off in the spring, I mark them 'front" and "rear." I replace them with the all season tires which I had marked last fall in the same manner. The "rears" go to the front and vice-versa. I also check to see if one or the other has more wear. If wear is noticeable in one, I put that on the drivers' side because I believe the passenger side of any vehicle takes the hardest wear. Depending on the vehicle, I end up rotating every 3000-6000 miles.How do you know when to rotate/balance your tires?
you should have it dont when you change oil like every 3000 miles or when signs of wear its way pass time at a year and a half there about shot now im sure
Look at the tread on your front and back tires, if you notice a big difference or see that their going bald, if would be wise to have them rotated
There's different theory's as to when to rotate your tires. I've seen people do it as often as every oil change...up to once or twice a year.



I would say...on average...especially if you run the same tires all year......you could do it every other oil change...or..every 6 to 10 thousand miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment